Monday, January 18, 2010

First day

Well, here is my first attempt at some sort of a journal or diary of some sort, I guess. But I suppose if you went by the traditional sense of those words, it would be a private thing for me to reflect on. But, being a "blog", I guess it's for others to share in as well. And who the hell am I to assume you want to read what I have to say? I guess that's why we have that little X surrounded by red in the upper right corner. Don't like it, don't read.

I was trying to think of something to write about for my first entry, and my wit about me today is lacking (as if I am full of it otherwise.....). I suppose I can write about my life and how I got to where I am today.

I grew up in SOMD (Southern Maryland). Started off as a Navy Brat. Dad was a sailor and mom taught Jazzercise. I would have considered myself a normal kid in a small town I guess, as I didn't seem to have much direction and / or motivation to become or do anything with my life. I started listening to Punk music at around 12/13 and riding a skateboard. After that, things were a whole lot more fun in life. I had such a tight knit group of friends and we lived every day to skate, listen to music, and skate some more.

It took a little while for the punk kids to accept me. Because I also listened to heavy metal and 80's music, I was considered a "poseur" or "poser". This seemed like a little bit of a rite of passage thing, to see if I was really serious about skating and punk rock. I hung with it and was eventually accepted. Some kids couldn't take the hazing and name calling and just crawled back to what was comfortable and acceptable in societies eyes. And it wasn't all the punks that acted that way. Just the ones who seemed to have a problem with outsiders. I guess every "clique" has that problem. What's funny to me now, looking back, is the punk kids frowned on the cliques, like the jocks and preppies, but that's exactly what we were. I even found myself caught up in the name calling too, once I was accepted, but recognized and remembered how it made me feel and tried to do it as little as possible. Nobody's perfect.

More later.

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing, JC! Add some pics, too!
    love,
    one of your oldest and moldiest friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Jimmy, I remember feeling exactly like that. I was caught in between the Jocks n punks/skaters. I played sports, but my heart was with you all n trying be accepted by both.

    ReplyDelete